Sunday, May 28, 2017

Life Lessons From One Who Succeeded


From Edward O. Thorp's “A Man For All Markets”:
“Education has made all the difference for me. Mathematics taught me to reason logically and to understand numbers, tables, charts, and calculations as second nature. Physics, chemistry, astronomy, and biology revealed the wonders of the world, and showed me how to build models and theories to describe and to predict. This paid off for me in both gambling and investing.
 “Education builds software for your brain. When you’re born, think of yourself as a computer with a basic operating system and not much else. Learning is like adding programs, big and small, to this computer, from drawing a face to riding a bicycle to reading to mastering calculus. You will use these programs to make your way in the world. Much of what I’ve learned came from schools and teachers. Even more valuable, I learned at an early age to teach myself. This paid off later on because there weren’t any courses in how to beat blackjack, build a computer for roulette. or launch a market-neutral hedge fund.”

[...and over at MathTango this morning I have a further look at Thorp's recent volume.]


No comments: